Adventures in Humility

News, Views, and Chews on spiritual issues.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Fever - A Lovely Way To Burn

I've actually been ill these past few days with a slight fever, so I've been off and taking it easy. I was supposed to go swimming but that is obviously impossible.

Strange as it may sound, I sometimes enjoy having a fever. Of course the suffering in undesirable, but I have noticed that a fevered brain brings surprising moments of clarity. This is especially true in regards to spiritual thoughts; all of a sudden your reading becomes more focused or more impacted depending how meaningful it is to you, your concentration on japa is also notably increased too. Even if you decide to 'take it easy' with japa and do less rounnds than you might normally do, you end up feeling like you want to do more by the time you've reached the end.

How interesting. I 've had these 'moments of clarity' before in previous illnesses but I can't help noticing it happening again. A strange phenomenon, when the most abstract spiritual issue is suddenly crystal clear. And all because of a fevered brain.

2 Comments:

  • At 15 September, 2006 12:53, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am having the flu this week too, so I am commiserating with you. It never was so severe as this time but I do agree with you on the 'enjoyment' aspect of it.
    Or, to use a title of another old song: " On a clear day you can see forever."
    All the best!

     
  • At 16 September, 2006 04:09, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hehe, something must be 'in the air'. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home