Adventures in Humility

News, Views, and Chews on spiritual issues.

Friday, October 06, 2006

A Lovely Ekadasi Treat..

I do realise that I'm writing this about 3 days after Ekadasi because I was ill (again!) but I'd like to relate soemthing wonderful that happened. You may remember that some time back I mentioned that I had ordered the books of my friend Advaita dasji from someone who was selling his collection. These are Gaudiya scriptures that have been translated by Advaita dasji. Although I had ordered them sometime in mid-August, I was told that it would take three weeks for the delivery to arrive from the USA.

Why so long? I put it down to the terrorist scare that was taking place at the time, extra vigilance on parcels and stuff like that. In any case it was starting to take longer than 3 weeks to arrive and I was getting worried. Had my beloved scriptures been lost in the post? Maybe I shouldn't have been so hasty, and maybe I should have bought it myself from a bookstore. I was kicking myself and worrying. I was even thinking of sending off an email to the devotee-seller and asking him if he knew of anything from his end.

And then what do I find on Ekadasi morning? A nice big sack! :-) A silly thought skitted within my fevered brain; had Christmas come early and Santa left his sack behind?

Seems like the parcel box had been damaged in transit and the postal services had had to go through the motions of authorising it to be delivered in a secure sack. I breathed a huge sigh of relief that the books had at last reached me and they are seriously wonderful:

  • Asta-kala Lila Padavali - Ray Shekhar
  • Sri Sri Dana-Keli Cintamani - Sri Raghunath das Gosvami
  • Sri Mukta-caritra - Sri Raghunath das Gosvami
  • Sri Krishna Bhavanamrita Mahakavya - Sri Vishvanath Chakravarti Thakur
  • Sri Govinda Lilamrita - Sri Krishnadas Kaviraj Gosvami

Oh dear, such wonderful books. I still have not gone through all of them fully, because these literatures are so confidential and so highly-placed that I could not take too much of it in one go. And above all, I was almost breathless and awed by the simple act of grace; in spite of any delivery problems it could have come on any day, but it just had to come on Ekadasi and make the whole thing completely auspicious. :-) I was really very happy about that, the fact that they had arrived on Ekadasi. Wonderful!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home