Adventures in Humility

News, Views, and Chews on spiritual issues.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Books Arrived! And More On The Way!

Yay! I woke up to find that two orders finally arrived this morning:

  • Haberman, David L. - Acting As A Way Of Salvation
  • Vasu, Srisa Chandra - The Vedantasutras of Badarayana With The Commentary Of Baladeva

For sure you can expect some scintillating tidbits from them on this blog in the forthcoming days and weeks! I forgot all about my swimming routine as I sat down all day with my nose buried deep in thee books. I personally considered the Vedanta book to be more important but when I perused Haberman's books I quickly got hooked onto that one.

So although my readings so far have been nothing more than cursory flickings, I have already found scintillating bits of info that should rock someone's world. More on that in a minute.

And it took a while, but I finally found the part in Govinda-bhashya where the topic of worshipping Bhagavan along with His Shakti (Krishna with Radha) is discussed. Unfortunately my reading was that cursory that I need to read it a few more times in order to digest that particular piece of info. But of course I'll discuss it here, along with a lot more!

One more book should be on the way; Manindranath Guha's 'Nectar Of The Holy Name'.

By the way, I've ordered two more books and of which I received shipping confirmation today: 'Philosophy of Madhvacharya' and 'History of the Dvaita school of Vedanta and it's Literature', both by Dr. B.N.K. Sharma. I've decided that since I have long been a member of the Dvaita forums and since I cannot understand a single clue about what they're discussing, it's about time I decided to find out about it.

I'm also considering two more books: D.N. Shanbag's 'Sri Madhvacharya and his Cardinal Doctrines' and S.M. Srinivasa Chari's 'The Philosophy of the Vedantasutra: A Study Based On The Evaluation of the Commentaries of Samkara, Ramanuja and Madhva'. Looks like I'm well on my way to becoming a philosophical egghead! :-) And with Vedanta too, wow, will my puny mind ever grasp it?

But in reality I would like to find out about other philosophies, specifically Madhvacharya's what with all the Gaudiya connections to it and all. On the Gaudiya side I am considering whether I should get the books of S.K. De and Majumdar - any hints or tips? Thoughts? Suggestions?

4 Comments:

  • At 03 August, 2006 06:42, Blogger advaitadas said…

    De and Majumdar may be great stuff for an egghead, for a pure Vaishnava they are nonononos - no! nein - non - nyet - na - nee. Majumdar has no clue and De is outright offensive at times. Dont ask examples, just believe it. I managed to forget the examples, fortunately.....

     
  • At 03 August, 2006 06:54, Blogger "Gaurasundara das" said…

    Ha ha, yeah I got that idea when a common friend used to post extracts from thsoe texts on GD... :-)

     
  • At 31 August, 2008 16:44, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hare krisna dear prabhu
    pamho agtsp
    would you please let me know where can i order these books from? where to find them?
    thanks
    marko

     
  • At 31 August, 2008 16:46, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh, i sorry, maybe you want to reply to my email. it's marko.maiar@gmail.com
    i'm an iskcon devotee from croatia.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home